Friday, August 7, 2009

Remedy for traffic jams: Close more roads!

Before I start, I've decided that I'm going to convert my blog from black background to white
from now on. Black is cool and gothic, but it hurts my eyes when I read this too long. You know what they say, simplicity is best. Until I can work on the code to make a white box against black frame, it'll be white. Too bad though, you can never have too much black.

Anyways, so I found this interesting piece of article about traffic management in a highly congested city.

The solution to severe traffic jams? Well, this study says, COUNTERINTUITIVELY, close more roads and limit drivers' options. Strangely enough, it reasoned that this would actually provide for a better, holistic flow system. Something termed the Nash equilibirium.

I wonder if this principle can be applied in Jakarta, where cars and motorcyles' growth stands at 11 percent while growth of public roads and highways are at..... get ready for it....... 1 percent.

No comments: