Monday, August 10, 2009

Busway ride experience

It's 9:24 am and I'm way early on my first day of work. I'm now sitting in an unopened food court at Gajah Mada Plaza, with nothing to do. I had left the house at 8am for fear of traffic. They told me to show up at 11am. Jakarta traffic is famously horrendous in the morning, so I decided not to take any chances. I arrived at Blok M terminal, dropped off by my driver at 9am. From there, I took the busway to go to kota area (downtown area of Jakarta). The experience has been super positive, the bus was not at all crowded and it was cooly air conditioned. There was absolutely no traffic, since the bus travels on its own special lane. So I got here extremely early, and I'm happy. Although I got off one stop too early and had to walk about a quarter mile, but I'm happy that there is now a proper transport for the people of Jakarta. It remains to be seen if my positive experience will continue with the traffic going back home. The busway only costs Rp. 3000 (30 cents) and it runs all the way from the main terminal at Blok M all the way to the last stop, at Tanjung Priok (? Not sure if correct).

8 comments:

Melinda said...

Greggy! Where do you work now? :)

Olive said...

like my grandmother said in Dutch quote: Lang gewacht, nooit gezwegen, nooit gedacht, en toch gekregen

Greggiepooh said...

@Mel, I got a job as an editor for a lifestyle mag.. check out my blog right after this. I'm so happy!

@Olivia, I don't know dutch.
Translation: Dutch » English

Long awaited, never silent, never thought, and yet received(????)

Olive said...

yeaaah, good guessing, sounds like this : Long awaited, never spoke about it, never thought about it, and yet it was given.

Happy work

Greggiepooh said...

Heyyyy.... Google Translate isn't so bad after all then!

I'd be happier if they give us a freeway system inside the city to alleviate the traffic. Nobody really asked for it, thought about it, or spoke about it, but it's certainly long awaited by the millions of commuters every day!

Greggiepooh said...

Olivia, I didn't you speak Dutch? Impressive :-) You need to teach me that.

Olive said...

Contemplating the awful traffic jam, i think busway is a good transportation, save some times.

Don't speak Dutch, just a bit understand, expecially when grandma or my parents talking something secret about me..

Melinda said...

oh wow, that's really cool, greggy! congrats...will have to read it. you are a good writer, sir! having fun so far?