Monday, August 17, 2009

My First Moving Violation Ticket - And Not A Warm Feeling

I just got my first moving violation ticket in this country. You can imagine my rising panic when I saw the policeman calmly walked closer and closer to my car as I waited by the traffic light at Bundaran Hotel Indonesia. Yes, he calmly walked toward my car as I was sitting in traffic. All kinds of thoughts crossed my mind. Why is he walking toward me? Crap. What the hell did I do? Oh s***. What do I do?? WHAT DO I DO??? Am I going to jail or something?

Then he saluted me (yes, the police are very polite here) and motioned to lower my window. He said, "Sir, there's a no crossing lane at the turnabout. Would you please kindly pull over to the side over there?"

You need to know that I understand nothing about the law here. I have no idea how to handle this. In the past, I have always been able to bribe (hey, that was just the way things are) and get away fairly quickly and hassle free. Now, though, I've heard that things have changed a lot and the anti-corruption law is so prevalent that they actually offer policemen Rp. 10 million to bait and trap bribers.

At the same time I don't want to say the wrong thing and make things worse, I also don't want to sound like a total foreigner and let him rape me even more. So I pulled over and he explained to me, so very politely (and that's the ironic part, because I still end up getting the ticket) that I needed to make a left after I got off Plaza Indonesia and not cross the oncoming traffic directly to the turnabout.

I decided not to challenge his knowledge about the post he works at every day. But just how the hell did he see my car cross that from that far away? He was at the other end of the huge turnabout. So he asked for my driver's license (thank God I already have one!) and my vehicle registration. Lucky I have both with me. And then, here's the funny part, he asked me very politely, "So, sir, I'm going to have to ticket you, okay? You're fine with that, right?" I tried to weasel my way out by saying, oh, come on now officer, let me go this once and I won't do it anymore, and tomorrow is Indonesia's Independence Day, come on, show some mercy, but he budged none.

Lucky for me I received a forwarded email this morning that basically tells everyone to ask for the "blue" ticket form instead of the "red." The email said that if you ask for the "blue" form, it's basically stating that you're guilty and you'll pay the fine. If you get the "red" form, which is the default ticket given by the police, you'll have to contest the conviction in court and the email further explained that besides the hassle of actually going to court, you'll be standing in line and be extorted more wild fees by the court officials. In short, it'll be a long process since you're contesting the ticket.

Red ticket means that you're pleading guilty and the email so says, the process goes like this: You transfer the fund (whatever the fine amount is) to the National bank via ATM, then you bring the slip to the police station center to reclaim your driver's license. Case closed. Oh yeah, they took away my driver's license until I can prove that I pay the fine amount. The biggest boon to this method is that the money will go straight to the country's cash registers and not to any corrupt officials. Also, be advised that the fine amount cannot exceed more than Rp. 50,000.

Since this is a forwarded email, and my general philosophy is to view every forwarded email with a grain of salt (you can never check the actual truth of forwarded email) , I shall see if this advise will actually work or not. So far it seems like it's playing out like the email said. In my panic that email was the only thing that popped into my mind, and I blurted out I want the blue ticket. At once I can see the cop's behavior changed toward me, it seemed like he took me in more carefully, maybe because he thought I knew the law. I really hope it will turn out to be exactly what the email described. We shall see.

The Blue form of moving violation ticket

1 comment:

karina said...

oh boy!!! first ticket in the ol' Jakarta! Hope it works out for you in the end.